Powered by Blogger.

Summer in spring | Our mango cravings



In the Philippines, summer usually starts in March. If you have visited a tropical country during the summertime you probably have an idea how hot it can get. Our tradition is to go to the beach and hang out with friends or family. And when I think about summer I think about the beach, sleepovers, playing outside, eating halo-halo and MANGOES. 


We usually eat mangoes with shrimp paste. It's the best of both worlds. It's better to just try it than to describe it to you. If I remember this correctly when I was kid I was prohibited to consume shrimp paste because when I try to eat it. I tend to have an allergic reaction. My body gets so itchy and rashes starts to come out all over my body especially on the back of my ear. But being a stubborn child, I didn't listen. I kept eating it until I no longer experience any allergic reaction. The shrimp paste has a distinct pungent smell and when you eat it by itself it mess up your taste buds. There are some ways where we incorporate shrimp paste in our dishes. But please don't be afraid to try it. 

Last night, my husband and I were video chatting with my mom. It was lunch time in Manila when we called. As she was preparing their lunch we couldn't help but salivate on their food. They had fried fish, vegetables and mangoes. Oh myyyy... we really miss back home. As a way of making ourselves feel like we're home. We went to the store and got ourselves some mangoes. It's one of the famous fruits in the Philippines. 


On the picture we made two dips, the brown dip is mixed with shrimp paste, lemon and diced chili peppers. The bottom one has minced chili peppers and pink Himalayan salt. It's pretty obvious my husband loves spicy foods :-P


What's the famous fruit in your country and how do you guys usually serve it? And what do you like about summer? Comment them down below.






Here's a photo from our trip to the beach last 2014:
I also linked the blog post :-)

https://wholewheatflowers.blogspot.com/2014/05/summer-2014-tans-will-fade-but-memories.html
Bolinao, Pangasinan 2014


No comments

Please be kind and respectful enough with your comments.